Pubg Leak
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Noob

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 and S7 Plus review

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 and S7 Plus review

If you’re looking for the best tablet in 2020, you’re likely looking towards an iPad – but Samsung would like to draw your attention to its brand-new Android tablet, the Galaxy Tab S7.

Announced alongside the larger Galaxy Tab S7 Plus at Samsung's virtual Unpacked event, the Tab S7 is designed to offer a premium experience to compete with Apple’s ever successful iPad range.

We’ve had the opportunity to briefly try out the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, alongside the new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra phones, and below you’ll find our first impressions of the new tablet.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 was unveiled on August 5 2020, alongside the Tab S7 Plus, the Galaxy Note 20 phones and the Galaxy Watch 3. We know it’s set to go on sale in the US, UK and Australia.

An exact Galaxy Tab S7 release date has yet to be confirmed, but it’s expected to be at some stage this year. The base model of the tablet with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage starts at $649.99 / £619 / AU$1,149.

In the UK, you’ll be able to buy a Wi-Fi only variant of the tablet but it seems that in the US you’ll only have the choice of a 5G-ready. There are a variety of pre-order deals for the tablet available, but these aren’t entirely clear at the time of writing and they’ll differ depending on where you live.

Design and display

The Galaxy Tab S7 looks similar to previous Samsung tablets, but the design has been refined, with the display technology in particular being improved for this latest edition.

We’ll start with the display, which is a 11-inch QHD display, which equals 274 pixels per inch. This isn’t the best tablet display out there in terms of resolution, but it still looked fantastic when we were watching video.

One of the big upgrades for this model is the introduction of a 120Hz refresh rate, and this means the on-screen image refreshes more frequently than on devices with a lower rate.

The display will be large enough for many users, but if you’re looking for an even bigger option you may want to opt for the Tab S7 Plus. Both tablets feature some hefty bezel around the edges of the display, but it feels appropriate for a tablet and we didn’t notice it when using the device.

The edges of this tablet are more squared than on previous iterations. It feels – and looks – more like an iPad Pro than ever before, but it still sits in your hands comfortably.

On the left-hand edge is the power key and there’s a volume rocker next to it. There are speaker grilles on the top and bottom edges of the tablet, and there’s a USB-C on the bottom edge as well.

If you want to be able to sketch or annotate documents with your tablet, you’ll be pleased to know that a stylus included with the tablet. That sits on the rear of the device to charge in a long line, which is a bold design choice that only some will enjoy.

Performance and software 

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865 Plus chipset is inside the Galaxy Tab S7, and it appeared to work well in our limited time testing the tablet. It’s one of the best chipsets available on the market right now, so you should expect some top-end performance. We’ve found that apps opened snappily during our time with the tablet, and it should be able to play most games without any problems.

There’s 6GB of RAM onboard, which should be more than enough to run top games and more. Those in the US have the choice of either 128GB or 256GB of storage, while those in the UK just get 128GB.

The tablet comes with Android 10 software, overlaid with what Samsung is calling version 2.5 of its One UI – although exactly how that differs to the One UI 2 software seen on previous Samsung products isn’t clear.

Unlike a lot of other Android tablets, the Galaxy Tab S7 comes with 5G connectivity, allowing you to connect to next-gen mobile networks around the world. In the UK, there’s a Wi-Fi only variant of the tablet available but you can also get the 5G-ready version. We’ve yet to hear if the US will be able to buy the Wi-Fi only version.

Camera and battery life 

If you’re looking for a tablet with a good camera, perhaps for work or study the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 looks a safe bet. There’s a 13MP main shooter on the rear of the tablet, alongside a 5MP ultra-wide and a flash module.

On the front, you’ll find an 8MP selfie camera for video calling and more. This has now been placed on the right hand edge of the screen, which makes it a better location for when you’re video calling with the tablet in landscape.

We briefly tried out the rear camera, and the results were about what you’d expect from a premium tablet – that is, photos aren’t going to look as good as what you’ll get from a smartphone like the Galaxy Note 20, but the colors looked strong in the images and everything we shot was clear.

The tablet is powered by an 8,000mAh battery. Samsung yet to specify a battery life figure, but based on our experience with previous Samsung tablets with a similar size battery, we’d expect this to last over eight hours and perhaps even longer.

There’s also 45W fast-charging technology here, but you’ll need a dedicated charger to take advantage of it – and you don’t get one in the box, so it’ll be an added expense.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, S7 Plus: Cameras

For the Galaxy Tab S7 and S7 Plus, the front-facing selfie cam has become more important than any rear-facing tablet camera ever has, at least in the era of Zoom meetings. And the Tab S7 does pretty well with its 8MP front camera. While my boss told me that I looked like I was using a laptop webcam (never a compliment) to talk to him on Google Meet, that might be more a case of Google lowering the resolution of video than anything else.

When I captured a selfie with the Tab S7, however, it picked up a lot of detail, from my quarantine stubble I should have shaved to the tablet's own reflection in my glasses. Even one of my dress shirts in the background appeared relatively color-correct. 

For cellular connectivity, you're going to be spending $100 more for LTE and $200 more for 5G. The LTE Galaxy Tab S7 costs $749, while the 5GB Tab S7 costs $849, and the LTE Tab S7 Plus goes for $949, while the 5G Tab S7 Plus costs $1,049.

Just like the iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard, the Book Cover and Book Cover Keyboard cost extra. You'll spend $199 (Tab S7) or $229 (Tab S7 Plus) for the Book Cover Keyboards, and $69 (Tab S7) and $79 (Tab S7 Plus) for the Book Cover cases. Both protect the docked S-Pen from falling off.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, S7 Plus: Specs 

Galaxy Tab S7 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Display 11-inch 2560 x 1600-pixel TFT panel (up to 120Hz) 12.4-inch 2800 x 1752-pixel Super AMOLED panel (up to 120Hz)
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus
Storage 128GB/256GB 128GB/256GB
Memory 6GB/8GB 6GB/8GB
Cameras Rear: 13MP & 5MP (Ultra Wide). Front 8MP Rear: 13MP & 5MP (Ultra Wide). Front 8MP
Security Facial recognition, fingerprint reader on side key Facial recognition, fingerprint reader on display
Connectivity 5G (optional), LTE (optional), Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0 5G (optional), LTE (optional), Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0
Battery 8,000 mAh 10,090 mAh
Size 10 x 6.5 x 0.2 inches 11.2 x 7.3 x 0.2 inches
Weight 1.1 pounds 1.3 pounds

The Galaxy Tab S7 and Galaxy Tab S7 Plus have similar internals, so you're not sacrificing performance with your choice for a big slate or a smaller screen. Both run on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus, which is expected to be 10% faster than the regular 865 chip. We look forward to seeing how it stacks up against the iPad Pro's A12X chip, currently the fastest processor in a tablet, where it should be putting up a decent fight.

During my short time with the Tab S7 Plus, I found it snappy enough for loading programs and pages, though not especially impressive.

But that's not the biggest performance difference in the Tab S7, as this tablet is the first to market with 5G connectivity. Different Galaxy Tab S7 and S7 Plus models will have different amounts of memory and storage, but they start with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. 

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, S7 Plus: Design

The Galaxy Tab S7 and S7 Plus look like Samsung took the iPad Pro and shaved its bezels and frame down even further to make an all-screen tablet — which is exactly what we want. 

Holding the S7 Plus in my hands, I'm honestly a little shocked by how thin it is. I'm used to the similarly thin 11-inch 2018 iPad Pro, but to see a larger tablet that's just as thin felt like I was staring at an optical illusion.